At DC SCORES, the safety of our students, coaches, and community is our top priority.
All DC SCORES programming will be suspended starting Monday, March 16, 2020.
DC SCORES is closely monitoring the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the DC area. While there have been no reported cases of coronavirus among our staff, coaches, or poet-athletes, we are proactively taking precautionary steps to protect the health and safety of our entire community, relying on information and guidance from public health professionals and government leaders, including DC Public Schools (DCPS), DC Public Charter School Board (DC PCSB), DC Department of Health (DC Health) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
We know that the uncertainties associated with this global health event may create anxiety for many in our community, including the children we work with. We take our role as good community actors seriously, and our mission remains to provide kids in need the skills and habits to succeed on the playing field, in the classroom, and in life. Given the important role DC SCORES plays in so many of our poet-athletes’ lives, we realize our coaches and staff are on the frontlines of supporting children through this uncertain time. Thus, so long as we are able to operate our free, afterschool programming safely in the schools, we will continue to do so, modifying program activities as appropriate. If schools close, we will suspend all DC SCORES programming. We also are providing staff and coaches with resources to support children in an age-appropriate way throughout this trying time.
For the duration of this health and safety event, DC SCORES will abide by our school partners' protocols and policies about COVID-19, including, but not limited to, those regarding: school/after school operations, hygiene practices, equipment sanitation, interscholastic athletics, field trips, and access limitations to schools.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, DC SCORES staff members will:
- Move to a virtual work environment starting Friday, March 13, 2020. While our physical office will be closed, all staff will continue to work and business will continue as usual.
- Continue to stay informed about all COVID-19 developments in our area.
- Communicate all relevant information, updates, and safety policies/procedures to coaches via the Coach Resource Center and parents via the Parent Resource Center.
- Enforce clean bus standards with all of our transportation providers, ensuring all high-touch areas in buses are disinfected prior to students loading.
- Be prepared for every potential scenario, including early dismissals, school closures, game cancellations, event cancellations, etc. should they become necessary.
- Ensure that we prevent the spread of germs by practicing everyday preventative actions.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, DC SCORES Coaches will:
- Regularly check the Coach Resource Center for relevant updates.
- Ensure that all coaches have completed their Coach Agreement.
- Ensure that all players have completed registration forms with updated emergency contact information prior to participating.
- Ensure that they prevent the spread of germs by practicing everyday preventative actions.
- Ensure that their students prevent the spread of germs by practicing everyday preventative actions. This includes:
- Discouraging items from being shared among team members (water bottles, equipment, writing/project supplies, etc.)
- Replacing high-fives with team cheers (e.g. as a group, shout "Good Game, Team Name!")
- Give their students age-appropriate information about COVID-19.
- Ensure that the DC SCORES program is a safe and supportive space for all students to learn and grow by standing up against racism, especially as it relates to COVID-19.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, we are asking DC SCORES Families to:
- Regularly check the Parent Resource Center for relevant updates.
- Ensure that you have completed a student registration form with updated emergency contact information prior to participating.
- Ensure that you prevent the spread of germs by practicing everyday preventative actions
- Ensure that your child prevents the spread of germs by practicing everyday preventative actions. This includes:
- Discouraging your child from sharing items with team members (water bottles, equipment, writing/project supplies, etc.)
- Encouraging your child to replace high-fives with cheers.
- Give your child age-appropriate information about COVID-19:
- NPR's Just for Kids: A Comic Exploring the New Coronavirus from NPR (article, video)
- How to talk to children about the coronavirus (Harvard)
- A guide to keeping your child safe and reassured as coronavirus spreads (CNN)
- Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus (Child Mind)
- How to Talk with Kids About COVID-19 (Standford Children's Health)
- Give their students age-appropriate information about COVID-19, visit DCPAVE.org/coronavirus for more information about school updates. Additionally, check out this NPR cartoon and video, as well as this article.
At DC SCORES, the safety of our students, coaches, and community is our top priority. Thanks in advance for your continued support in this effort. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact us at anytime.